Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tuesday 5.27.2008

Radiation Treatment #23

The radio came on for me to get up for my 0730 appointment with Ike. I got there about 0725. She was just seeing the previous patient out, so we went right back to room 2. She had me change into a gown. She looked at my skin and said it was doing good so far, but it's starting to break down on the areola. IT IS???!!! Where?? I looked, and sure enough, on the bottom or underside, the bumps on the areola were scabbed. Huh. Well whaddayaknow... There doesn't appear to be any breakdown anywhere else, so I'm good. Ike says that she has never seen a radiated breast that did not break down to some degree. Great.

She proceeded to do a lymph drainage for me, and commented that the armpit was full by the incision, and also below that towards the back. I told her I can feel it, but I'm unable to do the massage in that area for myself. I can only do what I can do...

After the treatment, the breast was softer, the axilla less full, and I was more comfortable overall. She wrote out a prescription for me for a compression sleeve and unattached gauntlet, for me to take over to Dr. DeBiose to sign when I saw him today. Ok, thanks. See you Friday.

I went over to the radiation center, and got there just at 0840. Daniel was there, as he wanted to see the doctor with me. When I went down the hall, Ron was there, and I asked him if they were ready for me, he said sure, come on back. Since I only wear a sweatshirt and no bra, I went back and got on the table, pulling my shirt off. Adrienne was there today with Ron, and they got me positioned on the table. Adrienne draped my shirt over me so I wasn't as exposed, and out they went. Hum, click, bzzzzzzz, click. The arm moves across to the left side, Adrienne comes in and slides the plate on and leaves. Hum, click, bzzzzz, click, done. I wait for the machine to move to it's park position--it doesn't move right away, but--there it goes. Then I can sit up and pull my shirt back on. Adrienne comes back in, and I wait for her to let the table down. All set, see you tomorrow, remember today you see the doctor... Thanks. See you tomorrow..

I go out to the waiting area, and see that Daniel is over near the corner, that's why I didn't see him when I went in. Fran, Paul, Millie, and her husband were waiting, too, and I introduced them. Melissa called us right over, and I got on the scale. 145 1/2. Ok, hovering, but down a half pound. Better than gaining again, I think.

We went into an exam room, and Melissa asked me the questions. I showed her the skin, and the areola. She said it will probably continue to break down now that it's started. She asked me about discomfort, and if I have enough pain medicine, and to let her or Mary know, and they would write something for me. I told her of the intermittent nausea, too. Daniel gave her the prescription for continuing therapy and for the compression sleeve, and she said doctor would sign that for us. Ok. Nothing else, so she went out.

Doctor came in within a few minutes. He shook our hands, sat down, and looked at the question paper. He asked to see the skin, and again, I removed my shirt. Ok, good, he says. You'll probably have some white flaking. Looks good. (white flaking???) He tells us that on the bell curve, I'm doing better than average on skin integrity. His whole demeanor about the skin was nonchalant, like it's no big deal. (Well, let me tell you, it's my skin, and it is a big deal) I showed him the scabby areas on the areola, and he said, "Yeah, follicular alveolar (something)-itis. The hyperpigmentation will go away too after a couple of weeks." Oh. He said some other doctor-speak that was meant to reassure the patient, but I get the feeling that he'd rather deal with issues as they occur instead of telling the patient what to look for. As long as he does what I need him to do...

He was done, we didn't have any other questions, and we were done. We went out, Melissa copied the physical therapy prescription and gave me the copy, and we were on our way.

Daniel went on to do whatever errands he had to do, and I went home. I didn't really do to much--in fact, I ended up with a brief rest before Dan got back. I wondered why I was hungry at 12:30, (breakfast was at 0700), so I ate. After looking at the refrigerator, I made a grocery list. When Dan got back, he had lunch, then cooked more food and ate that. We went out for groceries afterward. We carried our harvest back upstairs, and Daniel went out to the garage to hit golfballs.

I fooled around on the computer, had some of what Daniel had fixed earlier, and wrote here.

Tomorrow is radiation and work.

Thank you for reading, and keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. You know it must working, as I'm doing as well as I am. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment