Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tuesday 5.13.2008

Radiation Treatment #14

I woke up about 1/2 hour before the alarm with a hot flash. As I cooled off, I realized I wasn't ready to get up. I got comfortable and decided to rest until then...

Up and ready, I headed out to the radiation center. In the first waiting area there is a coffee pot, and I stopped and poured a cup for myself to have while waiting, either for the treatment or for the doctor. Through the door, I changed into the gown, locked my things in a locker, and went over to the waiting area. Ron came out, and said Hey, you. I looked around. Yes, it was my appointment time, but there were other people in the waiting area. Me? I asked. Yep, he replies. I told him I have a name. He gave me a look. I looked back at him. I'm a person, and deserve respect. We walked to the treatment room, and he and Lisa got me situated on the table. Today the green laser lights were red. I mentioned that the lasers were red instead of green, and Ron replied that there are always red lights, the green lights are the treatment area. Oh. I don't remember seeing red lights before. They are gone, and the machine hums and moves into position. BZZZZZZZZ. Click click. Hum, it moves into the next position. Click. BZZZZZZZZZ. Click. Done. I put my arm back into the sleeve of the giant gown, they are back into the room and the table is lowering. Lisa is there to help me down, and I ask her to tie the gown please, as I was having difficulty getting my left arm in the correct position to maneuver the strings. Sure, there you go. I usually don't tie it, as I'm going right out to take it off. But today is Doctor Day, and I have to leave it on.

Out in the waiting area, I stand for a moment, and see how Elaine is doing with the puzzle. You can tell it's been worked on, but not much progress. There was a woman in the waiting area who came up to the puzzle table, made some comment about the puzzle, then said "I'm with you. I prefer hearing my name." I really didn't get what she had said until I was driving home (duh), but I thought it was interesting that she felt she had to comment to me about it.

Just then, Mary called me to go into the exam room. We stopped at the scale--#144 1/2. Hey, I gained a pound from last week. Surprised me. We went into the room, and she asked me just a few of the questions on the page, and filled in the others. Next week, I'm going to ask what the other questions are... She asked about energy level, and discomfort, and looked at my breast/nipple/skin to see how it's doing. I told her it's getting tender and sore in the wound bed, and the nipple is prickly. She sent me home with telfa dressings, with the suggestion to cut a 3 or 4 inch square of it, put aquaphor on it, and place it against the nipple under whatever I'm wearing--a t-shirt, bra, camisole, whatever. Ok, we'll see about that. We chatted about other generalities of treatments, and she went out.

Dr. DeBiose came in within 5 minutes. We exchanged pleasantries, he looked at the breast/nipple/skin, said it looked real good, that tomorrow is the halfway mark, did I have any questions, see you next week....

Ok. I change back into my clothes and head over to the therapy place. I get there at 0930, but my appointment isn't until 10:00. The sun is shining and the birds are singing, and the location is somewhat on the edge of the commercial area, so there is still lots of undeveloped land. I put the seat back, rolled down the windows, listened to the birds, and cooled off from the recent hot flash. When I came back to the moment, it was 0950, so I went in. The receptionist announced overhead to Ike that her 10:00 was here.

Ike came over to The Door and opened it to bring me back. We stopped by the computer to make me 3 more appointment, that takes me through the end of the month. We went into a treatment room and I took my shirt off again. (no bra for these appointments). I lay on the table and she takes my left arm, moves it around, and clucks that the cord is still there. (yes, I could have told her that) She starts her stuff, pushing on it, pulling on it, moving from the elbow to the armpit. She worked on just the cord for 30 minutes, then moved to the axillary incision, and the breast itself. She worked at trying to release the adhesions under each of them, and then the time was up. I did have the opportunity to mention Agatha, and how I had met her. And that Agatha had not gotten a breast surgery booklet, either.

Our time was up, I put my shirt back on, and she walked me to The Door.

At home, I prepared and ate my lunch, changed clothes, and headed to Jackson. I parked, and watched the shuttle go right past the lot, not even pulling in. So I walked the 2 blocks into the building, clocking in around 1:00.

They were transitioning from morning activity to lunch to afternoon activity, in different stages. I got report from Joyce, (thank you again), and started answering call lights, passing medications, etc. Then it was realized that we were going to have to open 4 West, the overflow unit. So, one of the RN's and I went over there. We took one of the patients from South with us, the patient from labor and delivery came out about 4, then another about 5, and one of the babies were transferred out,.... Just another day at the office. The new shift came on, report was short, and we were able to leave just after 7. It was a good afternoon.

I got home, changed clothes (again) and finally caught up on all of the email. I haven't responded to some of it, though I've read it. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up on some of that tomorrow.

Daniel came in from his ball game tired and hungry. He had gotten up first this morning, and had left before me, too, to golf. He said he hadn't eaten much today. He showered and got himself something to eat, and before long went off to bed.

I wrote here, and will be climbing in soon.

Thanks for reading. Your support is most awesome. Hugs.

2 comments:

  1. Rainy days for things to grow

    Hugs from friends you'll always know

    Miss B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy,

    It's great that you have co-workers like Joyce that are willing to work partial days so you can have your treatments and to continue to function as normally as you are able:)

    The picture of you and Aunt Lillian is just fabulous! It was wonderful to see A. Lillian and U. Hugh.

    Hugs and prayers headed your way on the rainbow of colors.

    Love, Jim and Polly

    ReplyDelete