Monday, May 5, 2008

Monday 5.5.2008 Ike

Radiation Treatment #8

Hooboy, that alarm went off too early. I drug myself out of bed and ready for the zap appointment. I wasn't going to put on makeup, but since I had a few minutes, I did. I got there, changed, Lisa called me back about 20 seconds later, she and Ron positioned me and the machine, zap, zap, done. I changed back into my still warm clothes and went on out. A woman had just come in the door carrying a couple of large brown envelopes, probably with her films, and approached the window. I paused--she looked familiar. She checked in and said her name-Barbara. I recognized her, and spoke to her. Barb? I said, I'm Kathy--We were at the Look Good Feel Better class together. She recognized me, too, and greeted me warmly. Vicky behind the window was still doing whatever she was doing. Barb offered that she was here for her first appointment, and said I looked good, and how was I doing?? I'm ok, just had a radiation treatment...Barb looked at my head. I had a bandana on, as did she. She asked me if I had hair yet. I pulled off my hat-yes, I do! Wow! she exclaimed, You've got a lot of hair already. That's encouraging! She touched it, and we talked about the soft texture it seems to be. I told her it's only been a couple of weeks, it seems, and it's growing pretty fast. Pretty soon I'll be going bare-headed again. Vicky asked Barb a couple of questions, and I wished her well, that it was good to see her.

At home, Daniel was up and gone to the chiropractor. I checked email that had accrued yesterday. Dan came in and said he was "out" all over his back, that he's now "in" and feeling better already. Good. I got really tired, or maybe I wasn't done sleeping, and laid back down on the bed. I slept for about 45 minutes. When I woke, Dan was gone.

He came in a bit later; he had gone out to get the oil changed in his car, and stopped at Meijer for a few items. One of those was a rotissieried chicken. Yum! We ate; I headed out for the physical therapy appointment.

I got there and parked. At the window, a very pleasant woman (Connie?) took the papers I had filled out, my driver's license and insurance card. We went through the formalities of paperwork, she copied the two cards, and I waited to be called. I noticed that the window's ledge was low--at a level for people in a wheelchair. That was kind of neat.

There were a few others waiting, also. I found a newspaper and looked at that. About 10 minutes later, a taller blonde woman came through "the door" and called my name.

As I got through The Door, she put her hand out, and said her name was Ike, pronounced Eeka. She had warm eyes and a friendly handshake. I told her my name was Katherine or Kathy, whichever. She smiled and led me back to a door with the number 1 on it. We went in, it had a brown padded treatment table along the long wall, a chair which she directed me into, a plastic chest of drawers that had therapy-type items on top. A yellow stretchy rubber therapy band, a reflex hammer, a cannister of pop-up sanitizing wipes, and a few other items. A brown over-bed type table was against the wall opposite the treatment table. Ike/Eeka put my file on the overbed table, and pulled up the other chair, turning to face me after closing the door.

She was very friendly, and I liked her right off the bat. She had a list of questions, mainly about the sequencing of the frozen shoulder/torn rotator cuff/breast cancer/cord in the armit scenario. She thanked me for filling out the history form so well, it gave her a good picture, but she hadn't "studied it". Interestingly, she said that frozen shoulders and breast cancer are often seen together. Hm. Anyway, after talking about the surgeries and chemo and now radiation, she asked to see my hair. Wow! she said. Why are you still wearing a hat?? I told her pretty soon--it's growing really fast. (And it is--I had thought this morning that another few days I might be able to go without...) She yes, leave it off for now. Ok.

She looked at my arm, and right away saw the line down toward my elbow. Wow, it's visible all down your arm. I don't have my camera today. Anyway, can you take off your shirt? I did, and the bra, too, as she wanted to see the incisions, the pit, and both breasts. Ok. It was obvious that she knew what she was looking at. She thinks both incisions have adhesions. She took a lot of time, it seemed, just evaluating what my body is doing. She had me raise my arms up, down, all around, used her measuring tool thing to check angles and degrees, can I bring my arm around the back (no), etc. After maybe 25 minutes of that, she has me lie on the table and do some more "moves". I was surprised that one of the positions pulled under my arm. Aha!! she said. (really) That it the test for "cording"! She went on to tell me of her conferences, that some people don't know just what it is, some think it's a fascia, and others think it's inflamed lymphatic channel. Regardless, the treatment is the same. (She thinks it's inflamed lymphatic channel)

So, with me lying on my back on the table, Ike/Eeka stands on my left side and raises the table to about her waist level. I take a deep breath. She says Why are you breathing?? (Because I have to get all my colors bright, to get my healing energies turned up....) "I have to focus," I replied. "I'm just trying to relax." She put her hand on mine, which was resting on my abdomen. Ok, Breathe, she says. And she breathed with me. I could almost physically feel the energy forces around us. Wow, I think I'm finally in the right place to get some resolution. Thank you, God, for sending me here.

She takes my left arm, bends is about 45 degrees and cradles it in her arm. She gently/firmly presses on the cord, starting at the elbow, and tells me that it should feel like a stinging pull. It pulled, but only hurt in a couple of places along the length. She did that, slowly, from the elbow to and through the armpit, to the axillary incision. She massaged the axillary incision to try to release the adhesions and worried if it hurt me. No, I showed her where the numbness is, that it's not as far down my arm as it was. She said it might not all come back. She also massaged the incision on the breast to help those adhesions. That's the one that hurt. We talked about the healing process, and isn't it strange how we're radiating before it's completely healed. She said we'll continue massaging the incisions, to help the incision/woundbed for optimal healing and appearance and maybe reduce some of the puckering remaining. I thanked her for helping me.

She looked at me kind of funny--she said she only did treatments on breast cancer patients. Oh, really?? Didn't you know that, she asked?? No, I was just set up to see "a therapist". She asked if I was told about the lymphedema class, (no) and that all breast cancer/surgery patients at Ingham are given a booklet and encouraged to go to this free class (that she runs) to learn about how to take care of themselves. Nope, I haven't had one bit of education about my arm. Everything I've learned I've come across myself, either in literature or on the internet. Hm, she says, I've wondered why the classes have been so small recently. She says she'll look into it.

She goes out and brings in a full length mirror, stands behind me, and we look at me. The discoloration is obvious today, a large square on my torso, pink toned. Especially under the breast. She tells me that it will burn, become very tender. And the brown-ness (tan?) will be permanent. It was very moving, she was very respectful. She told me that I may not be able to wear clothing for a couple of weeks while it heals. It will be difficult, she said, but you'll get through it. Then she put her hands on my shoulders and turned me around, and hugged me. I mean really hugged me. My eyes filled and almost leaked out.

When she let go, I turned and got my clothes, and she started talking again about next visit. She gathered up the papers from my file while I got dressed, and we left the room together. I stopped off in the restroom; I came out and found her at the computer. She had the schedule open and wants to see me twice more this week, and 3 times next week, then evaluate. I think I see her tomorrow at noon.

She stood and walked me to The Door, and hugged me again. I thanked her. And I thanked God again for putting me in the right place.

I got home, Daniel was gone for an umpire job. I drank a bunch more water, had a bite to eat. I had another brief nap, read for a bit, and wrote here. Dan came home and we visited. I finished this, and we are on our way to bed.

Thanks for reading. Hugs.

2 comments:

  1. my eyes filled too while reading about your latest blessing ~ wahooooo!! You've been given a fabulous new color to add with ours, Ike seems to be full up on good, healing energy.

    I went to a women's dinner seminar last week and the note pads at the table had printed at the top of them "keep on keepin' on" & I thought of you.....funny the way life intertwines itself when you're not even looking!

    May more and more people with their healing energies intertwine & overflow onto your path back to the wellness planet.

    Loves to you ~ K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your PT appt was wonderful! God does work in mysterious ways and knows what we need doesn't He?

    You are on top of your rainbow colors and we are all there with you.

    Lots of Love & Hugs ~ KS

    ReplyDelete