Monday, May 12, 2008

Monday 5.12.2008

Radiation Treatment #13

This morning Daniel said I didn't sleep very well. I asked him, "What do you mean?" I was thinking I felt ok, I got myself out of bed when the alarm went off and into the shower. He said that I was sleeping on my back, snoring pretty good, and would snort or something and wake up. Hm, obstructive sleep apnea?? He said it happened 3 or 4 times. Geez, when I was awake those several times, I remember being restless and going into a hot flash. I don't remember what position I woke up in, but I often turn onto my back to cool off, then turn onto my right side and go back to sleep. I've been told that I snore when I'm really tired, but not like this. I hope it doesn't happen very often.

I had breakfast and went over to the radiation center. I changed into the gown, put my things in a locker, and went into the waiting area. Several people were in there, including the woman who has the 8:30 time slot. Huh? What's up with this? It's 8:40 right now. I looked around and recognized another patient. I sat down at the puzzle table with Elaine. She would call this one a "doozy", in that the pieces are irregularly shaped, a little smaller than the average puzzle piece, brilliant colors, and intricate, repetitive shapes and patterns in the picture. I picked at a few pieces here and there, and Ron the technician came out. He said they were having "technical difficulties", and that the machine wasn't running right now, but they were working on it, and hope it will be up soon. Huh? Technical difficulties?? I thought this was a new machine, like 6 months old. He says yep, they often have problems with the machine. Great, I'm thinking. So how reliable is the dose of radiation being delivered. I guess we just have to trust that it works properly when it's working properly... I went out to the car for a moment, to get a couple of tylenol and motrin, as my breast was feeling full and sore. I was parked in the first row near the building, so it was a short trip out to the car and back in. I got a small cup of coffee (there for the patients/family) and went back to the waiting area.

Mary the nurse came up to me and we talked about something, I don't remember what just now. Then Michelle the social worker came up to me and asked if I was coming to the support group at 9 o'clock. I was planning to, I replied. Good... About then, Ron came out and called the gentleman back, that the machine was back online. Michelle told me I could come into the group when my treatment was finished. The other woman was called back, and a few minutes later it was my turn. It was 0900. Only 20 minutes late, but disconcerting that the machine is what, temperamental?

Lisa and Ron were very businesslike, lining up the green laser lights on my body, then going off to shoot me. Have I said that in my imagination I can feel the radiation in my breast tissue? When the machine is whirring and buzzing, the tissue is warm and tingling from the inside, and the nipple is starting to feel prickly. It stops just a split moment after the machine stops. Zap, zap, done. They both come back in to help me get off the table, and to set it for the next patient. See you tomorrow...

I go out, change my clothes, and join 7 others in the conference room. They were just introducing themselves, so I said who I am and took a seat. The topic was humor in healing, and we talked about that, but the conversations turned to our treatments and tolerances. The meeting lasted just over an hour. It was helpful for me to hear of others' processes, and to see people and how they're doing. A couple of men, the rest women. 2 others with breast cancers, and each of the others had different types of cancers. It was good for me to go there.

I walked out with a woman in her 70's, who asked me about Ike, and how I got the appointment with her. I told her, briefly, and she said she hadn't been given information, either, about breast care and exercises and such. Then she told me that when Ike's mother comes to the US, (she's from the Netherlands), she picks her up from the airport! Isn't that somethin'?

At home, I changed into work clothes, had something to eat, and headed to Jackson. I clocked in about 1:00. We had a good afternoon; it was busy, but do-able. And, of course, good co-workers. I finally got to have dinner after the oncoming shift was done with report. Ahh, the life of a nurse...

I got home, visited with Daniel, and wrote here. Tomorrow is radiation, doctor visit, and therapy, then work. Daniel's still watching golf stuff; I'm off to bed.

Thanks for reading. Hugs.

1 comment: