Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wednesday 4.30.2008

Radiation Treatment #5

I got up this morning and got myself ready for the zap appointment. When I left, Daniel was still in bed.

At the radiation center, I changed, and had to wait about 5 minutes before Lisa came out for me. While I was waiting, Melissa was at the desk by herself, and I told her that I had forgotten to mention something yesterday. She asked me what it was--I told her that I have a bit of nausea for a few hours after my treatment. Yeah, she said, that's common. Do you have any compazine?? Yes, I do, I haven't used it for this, though. She said I might try taking it an hour or so before treatments and see how that does. Also, the effects of the radiation are cumulative, so the nausea will probably get worse as I go along. Ok, thanks.

Lisa came out and walked me back, and Ken and she positioned me on the table, zap, zap, I was done. As Lisa was helping me off of the table, Ken mentioned nonchalantly that the social worker would see me today. Oh? I'm sorry, I didn't know I had an appointment with anyone else today. My husband likes to be here with me during these appointments...(and I need him there too, to help remember stuff). Ken says that they don't make appointments, that the social worker just sees all the new patients at some point after they start treatment. Oh. So just get dressed, and she'll come out for you. Ok, thanks, see you tomorrow...

So I change into my clothes, and wait around for someone to come out. About 10 minutes later, Michelle comes out and introduces herself.

Michelle is a pleasant woman about 5 feet tall, maybe a little taller, maybe mid 30's. She led me down the hall to a conference room and we went in. She closed the door behind us. This room has a round table with 3 chairs at it, and 2 more chairs facing each other at an angle over in the corner. I think there was also a desk with a computer on it.

She started the conversation by telling me that she sees all the radiation patients, and can assist with most everything you need--transportation, finances, help at home, help understanding the processes, insurance stuff, etc. Or just to talk. She hands me her card, and asks if I have any questions or if I need help with anything.

I tell her that I'm pretty good right now, that I have an excellent support group with all of you, I didn't have any questions, but I have a couple things I'd like to talk to her about. Ok, she says, What's up??

I tell her about the scheduling issues, that I was told, not asked, about appointment times, and that they seemed very inflexible about that whole thing. She said they do guard their scheduling, but she knows they will do what they can if there's an opening to do something different. I also mentioned that I was wondering about a support group in Lansing; there is one in Jackson, but I don't want to commit to driving the 70 miles round trip. She said there were several, that she would put a list together for me, and that there is one that meets the second Monday, here at the radiation center, at 0900. Cool, that fits perfectly with my 0830 appointments. God and His wisdom....

We talked about some other things, and I thanked her and left. At home, Daniel was up and about. I told him of the social work visit; he was surprised about that, too.

After I had a light lunch, we went out for groceries; came back home. We put those away, and Daniel went out to the golf range and I did email and laid down a bit, then got up and put dinner in the oven. He came home, we ate when dinner was ready, and I went back to the computer and so did he. He went off to bed, I finished here, and I'm off, too.

My breast is tender and full, it feels like it did a couple weeks post op. I have put the aloe vera gel on it along with the cotton bra. Nausea was just enough to be noticeable, but not enough to medicate for. I have massaged the armpit/axillary wound bed to try to keep that cord thing from getting much worse. I'm doing what I can. I did not get out for a walk though. Hm. I'll try to get that in tomorrow.

Thanks for reading, be kind to the people in your world. Hugs.

1 comment:

  1. Wham, Bam, Zap ya Mame, What a deal. You are one Giant of a person!
    Love Light & Love,
    -B-

    ReplyDelete