Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thursday 4.17.2008

Work Again, Again.

Daniel's phone rang this morning about 3, his friend saying he would be at our house in about a half hour to pick him up. (The message was for his friend to let us know when he was leaving Flint...) Ok--! Daniel hopped out of bed and hurried to get himself ready for the day, and since he was packed, it was no big deal. Al arrived about 3:30, they loaded Dan's car and left about 3:45. I stretched out to sleep for another 40 minutes before I had to get up for work...

An uneventful drive down, the shuttle drove me over to the main hospital, and off we go for another busy day in mother/baby land. And busy it was. I'm not sure, but I think we had at least 8 babies on our time today, with another 6 or so to deliver yet this evening. It will be interesting to see the statistics at the end of the year, as we have an average of approximately 2000 deliveries per year. It sure seems that we're on track to exceed that this year.

I worked with Teresa M back from her Europeon vacation, and Marilyn H. The 3 of us on West. They did great, I did ok, mostly. I had a couple of instances where I had many things to do within the same time frame, and I did ask for help, and got it, and got back on track. The day progressed.

I am flattered, and humbled, by the warmth and ease of everyone's support. I know that I've had a stretch of days that have challenged my positive attitute. I still have issues with the motion/movement and pace, but hope for and look for each day's improvement, however small.

One of my wonderful co-workers/friends brought this in to me today. The daffodils are from her garden, (the vase is mine), and the inside of the card says "less nausea and fatigue, a chance to grow your hair back, but most importantly, another step down the road to being cancer-free!!!"



She hugged me, we chatted about how I'm doing, and she hugged me again. My eyes were leaking. Thank you God, for my friend Mary H. Just when I needed that external validation, there it is.

The later afternoon was congested with vital signs, timed events, call lights, meal trays, patient care, etc. I ended up having to do all that charting after the oncoming shift took over.
As I was leaving the hospital, Daniel called. They made it to Kentucky before noon, had a bite to eat, and got out on the golf course. He's happy.
After talking with him, my son Jeremy called. He's happy, too, having taken a position with a company in Savannah, Georgia. That gives him a 20 - 30 minute commute. We had a nice visit on the phone.
At home, I putzed around, took this pic, and got on the computer. I'm pretty tired, after working 2 days; I'm glad I have an open schedule tomorrow to be able to rest.
Thank you, God, for sending me angels when I need them, for kindnesses both given and received, and for the many hugs I've shared today. And thank you, Readers, (blerkers, as some would say--those who don't comment or otherwise communicate with the blog) for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Nice flowers!!

    Hope that your weekend is great as well.

    Love ya
    Dave & Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful flowers! How thoughtful. We, your family, are so thankful that you are blessed with such wonderful friends and co-workers that so selflessly weave their colors with ours to give you as much support, love and energy as possible. Thank you for the wonderful e-mail, my eyes "leaked" a little too. Thank God for you Aunt Kathy. Love, Cari

    ReplyDelete