Friday, April 25, 2008

Friday 4.25.2008

Radiation Treatment #2

Daniel goes off to his eye appointment this morning, and I go off to the Radiation Center. When I go in, I walk past the window, pause, say hello, Kathy Jacque, and keep going on around through the door into the Radiation area. I go into a change room and put on the giant gown. I looked at the tag for a size, it was made in Pakistan or somewhere, but no size markings that I found. I billow out and put my shirt, bra, and car key in a locker, and take the locker key with me. It's 8:25. At 0830, Ken calls my name, and walks ahead of me in to corridors to the treatment room. I still can't walk that fast. Another male technician was in there with him, he didn't introduce himself. They get me positioned on the table, I take my arm out of the sleeve, put my arms over my head and hold onto the handle. They are one on each side of me, checking the placement of the green laser lights, they each say ok, someone says Don't move, and they leave the room. Oh. The machine whirrs and makes noises. I'm sure there are pieces moving but I can't see them because I'm not supposed to move. I'm not sure how long the machine actually is running, maybe 2 or 3 minutes maybe. Then a different noise, and the guys come back in. Ok, you're all set. Oh. Adrienne has come in, and she helps me sit up and get off the table. (she's the one who did the markings and tattoos). I say hi to her, and tell her that she did a good job with me, that I was very anxious during that procedure. She smiled.

And that was it. I went back out to the waiting area, got my clothes out of the locker, put them on, put the gown in the linen bag, and was on my way. It was 0840. Hm.

I went home and checked email, then went on to my massage appointment at 10:00. That was very nice. Leah worked on my neck and upper shoulders, and that goes right along with what Dr. Kribs the chiropractor is doing. When I left, I finally felt that those stress areas might be giving up.

I came home, showered, and headed to Jackson to go to work. I had to park in the back of a lot, and there was no shuttle that I could see, and walked the 3 blocks to the building. The unit was busy, and I was able to step in and help here and there and there, too. Today, it was better than having a regular patient load assignment. At other times, though, it's too fragmented for me to work like that. We did ok, and soon the shift was over.

The shuttle is out front and I hop in. The driver and I talk about the new route/parking lots, and I tell her there was no shuttle this afternoon. She encourages me to call security from my cell phone to have them pick me up, especially as time goes on and I may get more tired. Thanks, shuttle driver.

I drive home, Daniel is on the computer. We visit a little, then I check email and write here.

My breast feels full, and the wound bed where the tumor was removed is tender/sore. I haven't looked at it to see what it looks like. I'll check that in the morning.

Thank you for reading, for keeping me in your prayers, for sending positive thoughts and energies, for the phone calls, comments, and the hugs. You are each very important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment