Monday, April 14, 2008

Monday 4.14.2008

Quiet...

I slept last night, at longer intervals. I remember waking only a few times due to the "hots". The window was open about half, there was a little bit of air coming in, and during one of my "up times" I changed the speed on the ceiling fan from low to medium. I made the comment to Daniel that I finally slept--he responded that "it got pretty cold in here last night". I asked him if he was cold, he responded he didn't know, he didn't wake up. Ok, must not have been too uncomfortable. I reminded him that he could turn on his side of the electric mattress pad if he was too cool. (I was thinking that the temperature was predicted to be in the 20's tonight, and hoping to have another better night's sleep. And what was I going to do when it started getting warmer....???)

I have been researching a couple of the remedies I've heard of for hot flashes--one was to increase Vitamin E to 1000 mg per day, that some women have had reduction, even elimination of flashes with 800 mg. Ok, I can try that. I've taken 400 mg twice a day for two days now. I did sleep better last night, but was that because of the frost on the fan blades, or the Vitamin E, or just because I was really tired after working 2 days? I'll go another day or two, then add a third tablet, timing it at 8 hour intervals, and check that out.

Another remedy I came across today is megadose Vitamin C. This guy has researched for 30-40 years now, and believes ascorbate in mineral forms, including ascorbic acid, does wonders for the body. I will continue to look at that, and maybe try it. Being water soluble, it flushes out. And goodness knows, I've been drinking enough to rinse out a swimming pool. Olympic size.

I rested most of the day, sleeping for an hour in the late afternoon. I got outdoors about 6 o'clock while the sun was still warm and the breeze was quiet. The birds were vocal, and I enjoyed hearing them. I went to the perimeters of the complex; one side borders a cornfield, and out of the corner of my eye I saw movement through the trees. Hm. I stood still and watched. There it was again. A deer. I crept into the woodsy border between the complex and the cornfield and stopped--it didn't hear me. I moved forward again, but the dry brush and leaves underfoot alerted the deer. It put it's head up and looked in my direction until it found me. I stood quiet with eyes locked with the deer. It was pretty cool. It put it's head down, then looked at me again like it wasn't watching, you know how they do, and turned it's back to me. I had to laugh. It turned it's head to see if I was still watching. I was, and it flipped it's white tail and took a couple of bounds, stopped, and looked at me again. I was thinking of how coy this animal was trying to be. I took a few more steps and sat on a felled tree closer to the edge of the field, and saw a raccoon cross in front of me. After my surprise at that, I looked at the deer, who was busy flipping it's tail at the two others that had joined it, and the one I had seen first led them all further away and behind the curve of the tree line, out of my line of vision. I'm sure it turned to look at me, to make sure we were out of eye contact.

How neat. Thank you God, for letting me see other living creations, for that piece of peace.

I wandered back into the complex, marveling at the birdsong, spring peepers, and the general music of the dusk. I'm blessed to have the ability to hear--how does one describe birdsong and spring peepers??

I tried to increase my pace--I walked almost my normal speed, but couldn't look directly down while doing it. I found a distance I could look, and continued at that pace. That worked, as long as I didn't turn my head or move my eyes quickly. And when I stopped, it was as if my brain was still moving. Weird. Then it caught up, and I started walking again. I decided I would continue at the faster pace to increase my heartrate/metabolism, even if it was just a bit. I've got to get better in the head.

I walked around another building that has a unit posted for sale. The owner came out and talked to me, a young woman named Kelly from Illinois. She is graduating from Cooley Law School, and it's time to sell and go home. I congratulated her on her achievements, we small-talked a bit, she invited me in to look at her condo (which I did-a very nice 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath ground floor unit), and I went on my way.

At home, Daniel was looking at the videos he had done of his golf swing, etc, today. I told him I had a good walk, and he went back to his computer stuff...

The evening progressed. I had something to eat, and wrote here. Daniel has gone to bed, and I'm on my way, too. I hope there's a cold breeze from the south/southeast...

Thanks for reading. Hugs.

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic, odd, surreal twist....to feel blessed while going thru the cancer planet. And how very zen to find peace amongst the uncertainty...sounds like some divine intervention to me! I've even read the word "inspirational" being used to describe you and this journey ~ how great is that?!!!

    yup, blessings and peace in the most unlikely forms....wishing you boatloads more.

    XOXOX ~ Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you slept better last night.
    Thank-you for taking the time to stop by my site and commenting, I hope you'll stop back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,

    It sounds like you had a great nature walk. We hope you got in another one today. Weather is supposed to be even better tomorrow:)

    We're still "blerking"!

    Love, Jim and Polly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! Yep, I'm out here blerking along with mom and dad. Doug and I just finished another home improvement project (a built-in closing Heaven's room off from the dining room, thank you Kimberly for the fantastic idea), so I haven't had time to write in a couple of days. How frustrating it must be for you that you are a little slower in recovering from this final treatment. I know though, that you will prevail, and have yourself back to "normal" very soon. Wrap yourself in our colors to keep you cool and comfortable. Love ya, Cari

    ReplyDelete