Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wednesday 3.26.2008

Day 8, Treatment #4

Today was better. Not 100% better, but maybe 60% better. Better in the way that my head doesn't feel "swimmy" all the time. Only when I turn my head at "normal" speed, or forget and walk faster than my head can keep up.

I had a little stomach pain, then a touch of nausea, earlier today. It was time for the Nexium, and I took it, and not had much discomfort since.

I met my lovely niece, Cari, at Sam's Club, to pick up some things for the staff at the Nursing Home. I drove myself to Jackson. That was interesting--the first 10 minutes I was a bit of a weaver, and wondered if I should be driving--but I settled down and was able to stay in my own lane. I had to go slow in the store--the lights and noise--but Cari and daughter Heaven were patient with me, and we each had our seletions before too long.

I went over to the home; a couple of the staff that I know were in the parking lot, and greeted me warmly. As it was nearing shift change, another girl drove up, too. Smiles and hugs. One of the girls, Amanda, offered to help me carry the goods in, and I accepted her help.

We went into the break room. One of the day shift girls who was with Mom that morning was in there. We smiled and hugged, and I thanked her for being with Mom. I saw Cameron, too, who had helped me get her ready for bed the night before, and hugged and thanked him. A few other staff trickled in and out; it was good to see them. One of the laundry ladies brought the last few of Mom's items out for me. I left my box of goodies there with a love note for them and walked through the facility. I saw a few other of the staff, we hugged and chatted a minute. I visited with a few other staff, and I left.

I drove myself back home. (Still with a bit of a woozy head). When I got back, it was past time for me to eat. Daniel and I used a gift card and went to Outback for supper. It was pretty good.

We came home, each of us on a computer, and soon it will be time for bed.

I was glad to see my friends today; they have been a big part of my support system as I have experienced the everyday decline in my mother's health during these last 6 years. They have encouraged me to date and shared my excitement when I met and then married Daniel. They have also shared in my breast cancer journey, from the breast soreness, the lump, biopsy, diagnosis, surgeries, and chemotherapy. I have grown to love them all. I hope they continue to stop by the blog (and COMMENT), or email or call me. I will miss seeing them, sharing our lives.

Hugs to all.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sis,
    Sorry to hear the side effects are bothering you so much. Must be time to sit down and "BREATHE" and let the warm colorful blanket renew you a bit. Glad Cari went with you to Wal Mart and share your day with you. The trip to Jackson sounds like it was an adventure with the head thing going on but seeing the staff at the home made the trip worth it. Must have been nice to see those friends again. We cannot thank them enough for the love and care they gave to our Mother over the past six years. Say hello to Dan and take it slow.
    Love Ya,
    Tom and Kathy Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sis,
    Sounds like you are having a difficult time with this last treatment. Hope that you start to feel better soon. How nice that you went back to the home and actually got to see and visit a little with the caregivers who it sounds like have become friends. They seemed to do the best that they could with mom. I'm sure that you thanked them many times. I'm sure that mom received better care because of it.It was very thoughtful that you left them something.Say hello to Dan from us as well.

    In our thoughts as always, love

    Dave & Catherine

    ReplyDelete