Sunday, February 3, 2008

Sunday 2.3.2008 New Wigs

Day 19, Treatment #1

Today was a pretty good day--the temperature was about 32 degrees, and I went outdoors for a run.

I started out trudging through the snow on the path the connects the two neighborhoods, then started a fast walk, going into a slow run. As I got a few blocks out, my thighs started to hurt. No big deal, that's happened before, just keep on, it passes. It didn't pass. Hm. What's up with this? Feels like lactic acid buildup. Usually goes away. Not going away. Ok, Kath. So you know you're out here, and have had chemo, and it's great that you're exercising, but don't push it. Ok. A few more steps, and I've convinced myself that it's ok to walk. I do, and after a few driveways, my thigh muscles are better. So I jog again. A block or two, and I have to walk again. Hm. What's up with this? And I find that I'm walking with my head down and I'm disappointed that I can't run. Whoa, Kath, pick you're head up. You're out here exercising, doing what you can. Heart rate's up, perspiring, good breathing, you're doing ok. Ok. My legs are better again, and I jog again, until I hurt again. And that's how my run went. Such opposite feelings--glad that I can and did, and disappointed that I had to walk at times. Thankful I could go outside in the first place.

When I got in and cooled off, I showered. I didn't pull my hair this morning, but more came out in the shower. There's not much left. Definitely will need headwear now.












So, I wore the shorter one today, to "see how it went". I guess it went ok. The girls at the nursing home smiled, said it looked real good. Their support and encouragement has been phenomenal--I go there every day, and they have been there with me since "sore breast days". I know they would be polite, but they are also genuine. It felt good to pass the first trial with smiles. It stayed on, too, when I bent over or put my head down.

I got down in front of mom in her line of vision and showed her my new wig. She wrinkled her forhead, looked at me, then put her head back down. I'm not sure what she was thinking...

When I left, I didn't put on a hat. The wind was light, but enough that it blew through the cap of the wig. So, if I have to walk the parking lot at work, I'll put my hat on. By the time I got to the car, I was thinking the adjuster strap on the inside of the cap might be a smidgen too tight, as I was trying to get a headache.

I was able to see the last bit of the Superbowl, and a few commercials. I had a couple of phone calls, then wrote here.

Monday and Tuesday are workdays, the Wednesday is Treatment #2.

Thank you all for reading. I appreciate every hug, prayer, wish for well-being, smile, and COMMENT. It's what's getting me through.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Sis. Wow, that wig looks great on you or is it that you make the wig look good.(^_*).
    Keep your health up and stay strong.
    In my thoughts and prayes daily,
    -B-

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look really cute in your new hair. I like it. Yes, you look different but anyone does when they have a new hair do. We soon get used to it especially when it looks so good. I was so touched that Frank shaved his head. What a dear boy! By the way, I read this week in "Prevention" magazine that British researchers have found that a compound in dark greens like mustard, collard or Kale seem to open tumor cell receptors to chemotherapy drugs making them more effective. So EAT YOUR GREENS!
    Love you, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, you make the hair-do look great! Anyone can slap on a head prothsesis but you are workin' it!! Both of them are very nice on you! :) No worries, doll...

    And if the time comes that you need to join your baldie son & brother(s) (are there more supportive siblings in line?!!), warn people first....that'll be a lotta sexiness all at once!

    [[[ DISCLAIMER ~ not that my uncles are sexy-they're my uncles, duh....but I can see how other people might view old folks as "sexy"-ewww- er, uh, whatever...]]]

    Having clearly stated the above disclaimer....YOU will, in fact, have no problem with the lack of hair stage....keep your inner confidence strong and you will radiate that positive attitude far beyond what any attention the head-wear can bring.

    Isn't THAT what Uncle Jim and Frank have shown...confidence...they are okay with or without hair! So are you Aunt Kathy...so are you.

    XOXOXOXO ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Kathy,,,your pics are great !!!!
    Thinking of you daily,,

    Miss B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kathy,

    The head gear looks good. I think Frank looks great bald, too!

    I know you'll keep being strong and we'll keep praying and thinking of you.

    Love,
    Polly and Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed seeing you today my friend, I knew you were suppose to be there so after I dropped off a prescription I headed in your direction, you have been on my mind so much lately, your in my prayers and always in my heart...xoxo always Joy~

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great with your new hair styles! Dan was a great help to you picking those out. The color is perfect and you look younger. Way to go!!

    Love, Kathy Sue & Tom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kath,
    Wow, I do love those styles you chose. Especially the bottom one. Very classy. Has anyone told you lately what a beautiful smile you have? That was strange about the legs hurting. This too shall pass. Right? Of course right! I'm so proud of you for continuing your exercise regime. Especially in this cold weather. Are you doing any strength training too in that lovely gym of yours? I hope you have good days at work this week.
    God bless you always.
    Love,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look great with the new hair! I can't wait to see it in person. I'm so proud of you, you're strength and determination is inspiring and awesome to read/see. As always, sending healing energy, love and hugs.

    Cari

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kathy, You look beautiful!
    Dave & Catherine shared what's been going on. You are a beacon of hope to us all and inspire us with your strength. Cudos to you, Jeremy, for your show of love and support for your mom.

    Karla

    ReplyDelete