Monday, February 11, 2008

Monday 2.11.2008 Look Good, Feel Better

Day 6, Treatment #2

This morning was the meeting at the Breslin Cancer Center (same location as the Breast Care Center, Radiation Center, Ingham Medical Center, Greenlawn Campus). My new daughter Breon went with me. I filled a medium sized shopping bag with all the scarves, hats, wigs, wig stand, wig brush, bandanas, do-rags, and headbands that I have purchased (excluding the wigs, less than $50.00) and headed out.

It was a beautiful sunshiney day today, 7 degrees F. When we arrived, the lady behind the glass came around to the other door, had keys, crossed the lobby, unlocked another door, and showed us 2 doors down to a medium sized conference room. There were 2 long tables placed long sides together, and chairs around, with 4 other women seated. One was the leader, Anyssa, who I read afterwards, is a cosmotologist or hairdresser who volunteers to lead these groups. Around the table is Barbara, a pale 62 year old woman who has had her 2nd of 6 treatments for breast cancer. Barb had shaved her head Friday, and was wearing a cotton knit cap with lace trim. She had brought a scarf she had bought in the gift shop out in the lobby. Her second treatment landed her in the hospital for 3 days with antibiotics and IV fluids for diarrhea and dehydration. She has a port. Barb had bought a wig at Elegante but didn't bring it with her.

Next to Barb is a dark haired, darker ethnicity like Central American or something, woman, named Joan. Joan has had her first treatment of CHOP-R for Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. She told us that her hair had started coming out, and she cried as she told us that she had cut her hip-length hair up to her shoulders Saturday. She might have been mid 40's. Joan had Laura, her friend since they were 5 years old, with her. Laura was very outspoken, and commented on just about everything, but it was clear these 2 women shared a very close bond. Laura cried more often than Joan did. Joan had not been to a wig shop, nor did she seem to know much about "headwear" options. She did not have a port.

I sat next to Laura, whose comments were frequent and to the point. Breon sat next to me on my left, and next to her was back around to Anyssa. Anyssa had brought a wig on a styrofoam head, a scarf, and a t-shirt, cut off just under the arms. When she asked what we had brought, Barb showed her scarf, and I dumped my bag-o-goods out onto the table. Wow-you've really got a lot of stuff! Yes, but I didn't know what I wanted, and all this minus the wigs was less than 50 dollars. Joan was wide-eyed. We talked about the scarves, and Anyssa showed us a few different ways to tie them. The bandanas, do-rags, and caps were passed around, and Joan was getting comfortable handling them with the idea of wearing them. Let me say, I had taken my hat off, so I was there with my 9 month old hair. There's not much of it any more, and the scalp shows through pretty good. Alyssa says I can not wear headwear if I choose--most people don't really notice anyway. Kind of like that big pimple on your face, they overlook it until you mention it.

Anyssa showed us how to use that cut off t-shirt, I'll see if I can describe it. Take the bottom edge of the shirt and put it on your forehead, with the body of it towards the top of your head. Pull the fabric loop behind your head and cross it/twist it once. Now, it's tight on your head, and you've got this fabric hanging there. Keeping it tight on your head, roll that excess fabric so it twists on itself, then when it's short enough, or twisted to your liking, pull that loop up and over your head around your forhead, securing the fabric on your head. That was pretty cool trick.

Anyssa then passed out red nylon bags, wrapped in clear cello, and asked us to open them. They were stuffed full of make up products--moisturizers, foundations, cheeks, lips, eye colors, concealer, mascara, eyebrow pencils, etc. Each kit was marked with light, medium, or dark for our tones. The brands varied, and each bag was slighly different. Mary Kay, Avon, Chanel, Maybelline, Almay, Clinique, etc. I read that these products, also, were donated. Anyssa went through the different types of products, talking about how our skin tones might change, how to use these products, and the importance of handwashing and makeup application/applicators. She showed us how to draw on or fill in our eyebrows in case those come up missing or get thinned out.

She did a good job, and then our time was up. We all hugged each other and left. I thought it was helpful to talk to others "real time", and their support person, too, to hear where they are at and how they're doing with it. Breon said she liked it, too.

We got home, I had a bite to eat, and I was still hungry. So I made a pot of goulash. That was ready about 3:30, so I ate and left for Jackson.

All was well there, I got Mom fed and tucked into bed, the stopped at Meijer and got groceries. Dan helped unload and put away, and I had another bite to eat. I wrote here, and it's almost 0100. I'm off to bed.

I think you can see that I'm feeling MUCH better today, and I'm glad for it. Thanks to your thoughts, prayers, and healing energies. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment