Thursday, January 3, 2008

Wig Shopping, Day #2

Today, KS and I went to Elegante Wigs and Cosmetics. A beautiful, sunshiny, cold, bright winter day. We go in, and a woman approaches us. I introduce myself and Kathy Sue, and tell her that I may be needing a wig in a few weeks, and why. Oh, she says, and her demeanor changes. From thinking we're a couple of chics looking for a little fun trying on wigs, to serious shoppers who may be making a purchase. She tells us her name is Gerry, and there are lots of wigs to choose from, so look around, select a few, and I'll come help you when you're ready to try them on. Oh. Ok. So much different than yesterday.

This store has styrofoam heads and plastic heads and just plain wire display racks and shelves loaded with wigs. Any color, style, and many manufacturers. There was so much hair in there I almost felt I was in a pet store. Well, I was in a hair store. And there was hair. All kinds of it. Where to start??

I guess we just look around, spin the racks, touch them, pick them up and shake them, read the tags, and select a few. It was a little creepy at first, but we loosened up and started enjoying ourselves. There were several other women, maybe 5 or 7, in the shop already, so it was somewhat congested in there. Gerry did explain that they were busy today, as the person who trims/cuts/styles the wigs was here, and the ladies bring in their hair to get trimmed up. (really--who knew you could trim/cut a wig??) Hm. Yup, there's hair on the floor over there. Hm. KS and I selected several hairs, and Gerry came back to get us situated.

A space on the counter opened up, and she found a chair from somewhere, and sat me down. She hands me a nylon thing to put on my head, like you do on your feet at the shoe store if you don't have socks on. No kidding. Now, you have to hear, listen really, these girls are giggling and laughing and having fun with their hairs. She gives us a brief introduction to wigs, and tells me to put it on. Oh--yesterday I didn't do that. I must have looked surprised, as she then showed me the tabs at the temples to pull on and then to line up with the temples. Oh--there we are. Another surprise as I look in the mirror. Gerry hands me the wig brush and tells me to brush it out and get it into place. Pretty soon, the hair takes shape as something I might really want on my head. Isn't that amazing?

I tried on several different wigs, as their inventory is quite large. Several colors of the same style, then a couple of another style. How interesting. And challenging to use the imagination to envision that particular style in another color, or that color in this other style. And remember, we can trim that up to shape to your face....

Geesh. Kathy Sue and I had brought the Kodak EasyShare camera, and a notebook with us today. After finding a style that the patrons and employees thought was "good", we photographed me. Interesting feedback from the other women. I have to say I liked it, and was very helpful in finding a style, color, and comfort level.

And we were loosening up, becoming a bit more comfortable, and starting to have a little fun. I was surprised at the patrons. These women come in, look around like you do at the shoe store, select a wig or two, get a nylon cap, pull in on, then put the wig on. They look in the mirror and play with the hair until it becomes something, deciding if they like it or not. Sometimes the women pulled off the wig they came in with to try on something different. I was not aware that wigs were "like that"--change them like shoes or eyeglass frames. We were about done with our time there, having become saturated, and there's that woman who has just purchased a new hair, getting it trimmed. No kidding. Be careful, I'm thinking, it won't grow back...

So here are the pics we took today. There are 5 different wigs altogether. The first 3 are the same style but different colors. The next one would need to be trimmed to style to my head, and the last wig (4 pics) would need the cap size altered, because it doesn't come in petite. Yes, I have a small head. Who knew?


These 3 are Aspen wigs, Sophie style.

color 12/26H


color Cola n'Cream


18/24H


This is the Estetica brand, style name Erika everyone thought it needed to be trimmed

color R8/26H



This is the Noriko brand, style Andi 1659G color Terracotta-H. This cap needs altered, and maybe hairs trimmed, too.





It was suggested to go wig shopping in neutral clothing colors, but with makeup done. Some shades of hair may require adjusting some makeup colors.

When we were done and got home, we had a bite to eat. KS left for home, and I realized I didn't have a picture to have as an "au naturale". So Dan took a couple pics...



I'm about wore out, or maybe saturated with hair. I don't know if my hair truly is that dark or if that's just the way if photographed. I know the gray is there. And the style--not too bad after spending the afternoon smushed in a nylon cap.

There are some other wig options we looked at yesterday, and I'll tell you, so you can look them up if you want. This is what we think we remember--Alan Thomas Designs style Diamond 7009, style Bliss color 33/27T, maybe style Laura.

Wow. Hey--any feedback is welcome, and I expect comments. Look forward to hearing from you.

7 comments:

  1. Kathy Jockkae' (you know how I say it in person so try and understand my spelling...ha! Probably only you and I will get that joke but that is ok because this is all about you...wink)I spent the last few minutes reading your blog catching up and I can remember these days like it was yesterday with my mother...you are in my heart and in my prayers, your a special person and we are all blessed to have you in our lives...i love you....Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWZA! All that fake hair on fake heads! No wonder you were both awestruck...who knew! People really just change their hair like a hat...hmm...how bout that?!!

    Does it feel wierd on your head? They all look good but, so far, I like the "Andi" style! I surprised myself as I liked "Sophie" alot too, but, honestly, the Andi style makes you look younger (yippee!!)& softens your features. How many wigs does the insurance cover? Maybe you should get several so you, too, can go with whatever mood strikes ya! Try a "Cher" style, long & flowing & sexy...then a short & sassy style like the "Andi" and maybe a dramatic purple style to REALLY make those laboring moms pay attention! :)

    Oh dear, a whole new world, Eh?! Sending you deep breaths and calm energy to keep on keepin' on.....

    Mucho gusto love to you ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I really liked the second and third pic along with the sixth one. I think they "fit" you better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I like the Sophie style on you! Very nice. Lots of love, hugs and healing energy! Cari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy, I know you won't remember me, but you were actually one of my nurses 2 years ago in the Mother & Baby.. :) Anyways, Zoe is a friend of mine, so that's how I ended up here. I also work at the hospital, in Ultrasound on 3rd shift. Anyways I wanted to let you know that I love reading your blog and hearing your great stories of your recovery.

    Also my opinion on the wigs.. I really am liking the first style, Sophie i think it is, in the 18/24H color. Looks great on you!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the first one best but I like the one with the longer length too, Noriko. Makes you look like you're in your 20's. You look way younger than your age anyway(45 isn't it!).

    God bless you, Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy. Sorry I am so long in getting in touch with you. As a nine year survivor I do believe I may be able to help you through your journey. Sounds like you are doing a good job - I too read everything I could get my hands on and shared my feelings rather than "keeping it all inside". Wigs: My hair is sooo thin that I never felt my wig was "part of me" but it sufficed. My 17th day after chemo started my hair was all but gone. If I were to have to do this again (Hopefully Never) I really think I would go with Red/Spiked crazy wig. Life is too short to be too serious. Get in touch Annmarie

    ReplyDelete