Monday, January 21, 2008

Wednesday 1.23.2008

Day 8, Treatment #1

Back to work today. I woke to the radio in the middle of a dream. Sheesh. Out of bed, blah blah. Drive to Jackson, road conditions are not cruise control. But I make it ok, and didn't see any cars off the road. I really couldn't look as I had to pay attention to the road. I pulled in the parking lot, and as I was gathering my things, the shuttle bus pulls in. Yea! Thank you, God, for the shuttle.

The workday was very busy, but a good crew makes the day go a lot better. I was surprised that after report this morning I went out in the hall to start blood pressures and such. Whoa--I had to slow down. The bright hallway lights, noises, people, etc... it was a sensory overload. I literally had to stop, close my eyes, and regroup. Ok, I'm not going to be able to "run the halls". So, I took what time I needed, and found that I had to concentrate on very familiar, routine tasks. I am so blessed to have such wonderful co-workers. Hugs, smiles, genuine caring. And every so often throughout the day one or another would ask if I was ok, did I need anything. Wow.

The day went on, we did what we needed to do. It was very busy.

I got over to the nursing home where we needed to wait our turn for the bathroom. I got mom washed up and tucked into bed, then headed home.

My wonderful husband was waiting for me, and is patiently staying up while I tend to this writing. I wanted to mention my physical self--my hips are just a bit achy, my hair is still intact, my mouth is feeling a smidgen better, though the outer edges of my tongue still taste like it's been burned. Nausea? Not really nausea, but intermittent stomach aches, not enough to worry about. I get hungry, and do eat, and I have to eat slowly, not shove it in. Another thing I don't think I've mentioned is a skin rash that's developed on my left hand. Reddened skin, itchy, with some raised bumps. Along the base of the hand/ thumbside on up to and over the middle knuckle of the thumb. This showed up about maybe 4 days ago--not the bumps, but the dry itchy reddened skin. Sometimes the skin looks even like it has a dark undertone to it. Of course I've put stuff on it, but it doesn't seem to be helping it. And the iv site on the right forearm has that reddened area that is now drier, firmer, and occasionally itchy. I'm not bothering that one, though. The redness is not at the insertion site, but where the end of the catheter would have been. Yeah, well, the stuff is supposed to kill the cells....

Off to bed with me. 0410 is closer than I would like.

Thanks for reading, for your kind words, hugs, genuine concern.

4 comments:

  1. Kathy Jean, I am up in the middle of the night with a sinus headache and scanned through to catch up with your treatments. I am keeping you in my prayers, honey! A special blessing goes to Daniel, so glad he is WITH YOU in all this!
    xoxo
    Heidi Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sunshine,,,,hope you get a chance at work today to see the beautiful sun and sky today. (Thurs)
    I am starting my new job Tuesday,,,yeeha.
    If you need me at CCC for you any evening please call me. I'd be glad to help with your Mutti (german for mother).
    Big HUGS, Peace & Peas,

    Miss B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kathy, just read your blog and I still love the way you write ;). So glad I got to see you TWO days this week, you are so fun and joyful I love stoping to talk with you. Hopefully you were able to get into the bathroom early tonight with your mom ;) Have a good nights rest and I'll be waiting to hear from you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kathy i'm so glad that you are doing ok. i hope to see you soon.
    zoe

    ReplyDelete