Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tuesday 1.29.2008

Day 14, Treatment #1

I worked again today. The roads were finally dry this morning, and the temperature has soared to 45 degrees. At the end of January. In Michigan. Wow. It was nice, however, to use the cruise control without watching for black ice.

We had a great day, as far as workdays go.

As far as my physical self, I wonder if this isn't the worse day I've had other than surgery. I didn't feel really bad, just punky. For a couple of hours. When I finally got a chance to eat lunch, it was about 2 o'clock. I hadn't eaten since breakfast at 0500, and I wasn't really hungry, either. I just didn't feel good. A little nauseated, a little queasy. But I worked on it and finished about an hour later. I did drink, though, a couple of 16 ounce waters, a little coffee.

Around about 6 o'clock, a couple of other girls were in the report room with me. My head has been itchy for about a week; so what, that happens sometimes. So, I was scratching my head, and I felt a little bumpy thing on my scalp. And you know how you kind of pinch it with your fingernails to pull it out of your hair? I did that, and a small clump of hair came out. I must have gasped--the 2 others sitting at the table jumped and asked me if I was ok. Yeah, I said, Look. And showed them the little clump of hair. Oh my gosh. It's happening. I'm losing my hair.

Eww. I looked at it for a long time. The others did too. Wow. I was still feeling a bit queasy, and it seemed to take forever for my head to catch up with reality. Yeah, I know I was expecting it. And here it is. After a while, I reached up and tested another area. Wow. Look at that. Another small clump. Now I have two small clumps of hair in the palm of my hand, and it adds up to a small collection of hairs that looks amazingly like a whole lot of hair. And it didn't even hurt. I couldn't even tell that it was being pulled. Oh my gosh. I reached up and pulled again. Another batch of hair. Wow. Ok, that's enough testing, I'm convinced my hair's coming out. YIKES!

I have a thought. Is it just going to fall off of my head, like a piece of fabric might fall off, and I won't have any hair by the time I get home?? (silly, probably not) I am kind of in shock, or at least great surprise. I get up and find something to do to distract me. I decide that Dan and I will have to go to the wig store tomorrow and get a wig. And I've heard that you wake up in the morning and your hair is on your pillow. Eww. I pull again. Another clump. Maybe I'll just shave it tonight when I get home. I call Dan, I ask him about his day, how he is. (I'm surprised that I make small talk...) I tell him my hair is starting to come out. He's quiet for a minute, and says well, we knew it was going to happen... I say yes, we'll have to go to the wig store tomorrow. Ok, he says, we can do that. I don't mention the shaving the head thing. I'm still trying to get my stomach around my hair falling off...

I selectively show the remaining co-workers, individually. Their responses are perfect--they look me in the eye, we make some kind of comments, and they hug me, telling me it's going to be ok. Thank you to each of you. Before too long, most, if not all, everyone knows. So kind, you girls. And I find myself smiling, laughing even, and we make gentle jokes.

It's time to go, we clock out, and go our ways. As I look in the mirror it seems that my hair has gotten "flat", not standing up off of my head. Hm. Interesting. I'm not going to pull any more out, I'd like to have hair when I get home.

I get over to the nursing home, wait our turn for the bathroom. The girls are busy, but a few of them stop as they pass by to say hi. I tell them I'm losing my hair. They take it in stride, and ask me about a wig. I tell them probably tomorrow; they look forward to seeing it. Ok, that was easy.

I make it home through the blowing rain, it's still 45 degrees, but a winter storm warning has strong winds and dropping temperatures coming in the next couple of hours. Daniel looks at me kind of funny. I pull out a clump and show him. He's kind of funny--I don't need to see it, he says. Oh. Ok. I putz around putting my work stuff away, etc., and check email and such.

After a bit, I mention that I'm not sure I want to wake up with all that hair on the pillow, you know? I was thinking about shaving it tonight... He' really tired, and so am I. He says, why don't you just sleep in a hat?

Well, you know, Dan has gone to bed, and I'm not going to pull out any more hair tonight. I think I will try to sleep in a hat to contain the hairs somewhat. I'll re-evaluate the shaving thing tomorrow. The temperature has dropped now to 20 degrees with a windchill of zero, and wind speeds are 35-50 mph. ( I have discovered these last several years that I don't like wind.) It's 0100.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. And, I started my period.

6 comments:

  1. Aunt Kathy,
    Gasp, the hair IS coming out. Ok, breathe, we knew this was going to happen. Have you decided on a wig yet? You know you're beautiful to us, regardless if you choose wigs, scarves, or au natural. Bald is beautiful, as your beauty is inward and outward. We love you and send you strength and courage to handle this next step. Hugs, Cari

    ReplyDelete
  2. KJJ,
    It's ok and you're ok. You and Dan go and pick out one of those wigs that we liked. Remember, this to is temporary. You are such a strong woman Kath. Our love, prayers and hugs are with you.

    Much Love, KS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,
    Oh my gosh, I was devastated to ready that your hair is starting to come out. OK, quit pulling on your hair! I'm confident that it will be a slow process of loss. Please don't shave your head until you absolutely have to. Good luck shopping for your cranial prosthesis (as my Mom calls them) LOL.
    Dave wanted me to tell you hi for him and to let you know that he is thinking of you too. I sure hope your stomache feels better today. Oh, and I will say a prayer for your friend Zoe and her son. Poor kid. Please know that I continue to pray for you and I send you all my positive energies. Stay strong and brave. I know you can do this. I love you so much.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Kathy ~

    tough stuff...the REALITY of it all. We all knew the "idea" of cancer, but here it is...actually happening. My words of encouragement to you today are this ~ embrace it, celebrate it!

    I know I know - what do i know, right?!

    What I know is that we must embrace change because it leads us to the next greater experience. Just like in childbirth...all these women you see day to day...inevitably they have to embrace the pain and work thru it, even celebrate it as it brings new life. Losing your hair is one of those things. Celebrate it ~ WAHOO! It means the cancer treatment is working and you're on your way to kicking its ass! Shave your head, put on a baseball hat and a cool funky scarf ~ embrace this stage and push on thru to the next because these side effects mean that the cancer cells are leaving your body. Visualize the cells shrieking and shriveling when the drugs attack them and know that the realization of these side effects affirms they're doing their job!

    Easier said than done...I'm sure. And I'm sure I don't know you as well as some but I have watched my aunt thru the years and have seen her to be genuine and headstrong (ewww, no pun in intended ~ LOL)in all the paths you've chosen. While this path obvioulsy wasn't chosen, it doesn't change the way you walk it, right?!!

    Now go find a scarf that has all the colors you've been seeing on your path and wear it proudly as you gear up for the next phase & ultimately...the next even greater experience when you are cancer-free! :)

    All our love, strength & courage thru cyber space to you ~ XOXOXOXOX.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sis,
    You know that Kathy and I are sending positive, strong prayers and toughts your way every day. I agree with Kimberly that the best way to meet this phase of the journey is to embrace it with the knowledge that you are winning this battle. The starting point of this journey is getting farther and farther behind you and as each day goes by the finish line comes int view. This is just one more check point you have to pass along the way. Your support team is in place to give you strength along the way so embrace this stage as we embrace you with our love.
    You go girl! ! ! ! !
    Love Ya,
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy,

    I agree with Kim, she says it very well. I know that it must be a weird thing to loose ones hair. I know that it was hard on Catherine to help her mom by cutting it off when she was going through it. Her mom told Catherine to just "pull it out" but of course she could just not do that. When her mom noticed that she was crying she asked why are you crying it's not your hair.
    Comment from Catherine

    She says just cut it off. Which you may have already done. And, it does come back.

    Remember, we love you and add our color to your weaving,OK?

    Dave & Catherine

    ReplyDelete