Thursday, January 31, 2008

Thursday 1.31.2008

Day 16, Treatment #1

I woke up this morning on an instinct. Get into the bathroom as quickly as I can because it's bleeding through. Geesh. I clean up and go back to bed for another 45 minutes or so.

I get up and putz around, have breakfast, and look at my head. The small amount of hair is flattened right against my head. Of course. I slept in a hat... I had wrapped a scarf around my bed head, and after breakfast I tried on one of the wigs. I went to talk to Daniel. It takes him a minute, and he says, hey, that looks really nice! And he's smiling! Ok, cool. We visit for a minute, and I go back in the bedroom. I put the other wig on, and go back to talk to Daniel. After a bit, he looks up at me. I don't say anything, and after several minutes he says Oh, that's the other wig. That looks good, too. Whew. It's always good when you still like it in the morning...

I go back to our room, take that one off, and look at the hair I have left. I try pulling at it, thinking I'll have another quantity of hair. Not so, just another golf ball size, if that. Hm. That's interesting.

In the shower, I scrub/massage my scalp good trying to loosen some hairs, but when I'm done, there is no hair on the drain. Hm. Must not be time for those other ones to come out. I decide to style my hair and see what happens. I guess it's ok, and decide to not wear a wig today. I think it looks ok. Thin, but ok.

I go to Jackson for a meeting, have a bite to eat afterward, and go over to the nursing home. My brother Jim and his wife Polly are there waiting for me. Jim has shaved his head.



I was so surprised! And he has a nice shaped head! I hope mine looks as good as his. Thanks, Jim.

After getting Mom fed and cleaned up, we had to wait for medicine. I got a tissue, laid it out, and started pulling hair. I removed another fair amount from the back bottom half. Maybe a palm sized clump, but significant. After I got Mom tucked into bed, I stopped at WalMart to check the bandanas and other assorted head covers. I ended up with several bandanas, several scarves (they're very soft), a few do-rags, and several stretchy headbands (I read they are good under a ball cap). I also saw some other cute sparkly headbands, but I think I'll wait to see which ones I really do wear before buying any more. Maybe I'll check out some bling-brooches at a thrift store....

I head home. I'm hungry, but have underlying nausea. Not throw up nausea, just queasy nausea. Dan goes to bed, I have a bite to eat, then head to the computer. I work in the morning, so it's early up for me.

Thank you all for reading, and commenting. Your comments are very important to me. I often go back and read them for encouragement, and often find myself smiling, or saying thank you outloud to the computer. I thank God for each and every one of you, and consider myself truly blessed. I'm off to bed...

5 comments:

  1. Just a short note about the hair deal. I don't usually laugh when I read your blog but... Jim put the grin on today Whaoooo thx.
    Kathy you are one supper sister !!
    -B-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kathy....just wanted you to know that your on my mind, I'm only a phone call away if you need too talk....love you, Joy~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy,

    You are my hero. I keep telling my husband what a strong person you are and how wonderful it is to pull strength from you. Every day you are in my thoughts and prayers. Some days I am thinking I have a bad day and then I think how strong you are and it makes me feel like I am just being a weak person and have to think better thoughts like my friend Kathy.
    Also your brother has a sexy head.

    Keep up the good work and keep fighting the good fight, because we are all fighting with you.

    XOXOXO

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew I'd get you to try "red" tones one way or another. Hugs to you today and always.

    Miss B

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww thats cute he shaved his head!

    ReplyDelete