Thursday, December 13, 2007

Workday #2 12.13.2007

I got up this morning. I have to say, I called to check staffing. Surprise, it's not my turn to be on call, to roll over and go back to sleep. I got up, etc. Before I got dressed, I looked at my wounds in the full length mirror. Hm. They both look a litle red, but I'm taking antibiotics, so I'm not real concerned. I raise my arm more to inspect the underarm incision. It's dark in the center where it's been draining from, and I touch it. It has a sharp feel, or something crispy, and you know I just had to pick at it. A little piece of stuff came off. Hm. Nothing else there. Boy, it sure aches around it, and I press around the incision a little bit. The yellow orange stuff sprays out and splashes onto the mirror and runs down in rivulets. Yewww, was my first reaction. Cool, was my next. I went to get a peripad, and massaged that area and tried to move that fluid out. That breast is sore and feels really full. I can only hope it drains the rest of the day.

Typical morning, I get to the hospital. A couple of different girls are there today, more hugs, smiles, tears. The tears surprise me, but I'm learning to appreciate our vulnerability. The day goes on, fairly well. We're busy, but managable.

By mid afternoon I'm getting pretty tired, and my shoulder's tired, my breast hurts, it feels like it's hugely full of fluid, and I'm ready for a nap. We're getting admissions, and the staff that have been called in arrive. Kelly mostly takes over on half of the patients (I had them all to start, with my RN partners, of course) and I take a couple of tylenol and coast for a minute. (thanks, Kelly) I get a bit of another wind, and finish up the day. Before I leave, Becky brings me a love card with signatures, and a bit of "stuffing." Thanks, you girls, you are, each one of you, the best.

When I get over to the care home mom is in the geri chair, quiet. The one that doesn't stay reclined nor the footrest stay elevated. I asked where the other chairs were, the one that had her name on it, no one knows, and I don't see any other chairs around. I stand mom and she walks, slowly, into the bathroom, but we get there. I finish her, Sandy comes in to help, and we get over to the bed and tucked in.

I left there and got home about 1015. My breast is really full and uncomfortable. There seems to be a lump of fullness where the tumor was. I wonder if that's where the fluid is collecting, and if it's a problem (other than major discomfort). The underarm incision looks wet, you know, like it glistens sometimes. So hopefully the hole is still open.

I am really tired, and it is 11:30 again. I've got to go to bed. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Kathy...wow you are an amazing woman I look at you and see tremdous courage and a strong desire to beat this...I am proud to call you my friend. Know that I pray for you daily and am trusting God to heal you 100%. I love you, Joy~

    ReplyDelete