Monday, December 3, 2007

Uh Oh, A Lump 12.3.2007

.

.

For My Friend, Teresa, who wanted to see my face....


So, last night I'm getting ready for bed. I had unzipped that bra a couple of hours prior and had ice tucked under my arm trying for comfort and reduced swelling. I pull the nightgown over my head, and as I am checking that underarm (it's numb, you know, so sensation is altered), and I feel a rather large egg or small tennis ball, above the incision from the lymph node dissection incision towards the front. Holy Dogs, Dan, I've got a lump!! He says what?? And we turn the lights on and check it out. Yup. I don't see discoloration or shadowing to indicate that it might be blood, and Dan says Dr. had cautioned him about developing a hematoma, but he thinks Dr. meant in the breast itself. I think it's lymph fluid, as the drain was still collecting approximately 20 ml every 12 hours, and the drain was removed during surgery Friday. It's warm, and feels like pressure. We discuss options--go to ER? Not looking like an emergent event to me--Wait and call the office in the morning?? We decide to sleep on it, and if it changes for the negative during the night we'll re-evaluate and do what needs to be done.

Dan says I slept well during the night, and this morning the lump wasn't much different, maybe a little more firm. As far as discomfort, it's definitely uncomfortable. I did take 2 extra strength tylenol and added 1/2 tab of a t3, and the ice pack.

I called Dr. Sanchez' office and spoke with Kim, who did the scheduling for us last Thursday. I described the lump; her response was un-alarmed and reassured me that sometimes that happens. The fluid will probably absorb, or may find it's was out through one of the incisions. "It may be quite a bit of fluid, so don't be alarmed..." (Yeah, I've seen incisions drain stuff. That can be a real mess...) Use heat or ice as you feel comfortable, and keep your appointment at the Breast Care Center Wednesday. Please call us back if it gets worse, and Dr will be in the office tomorrow, Tuesday, if you need to be seen. OK, thanks. I feel mostly better about collecting lymph fluid, but not liking it none-the-less. I don't remember talking about that as a potential complication; perhaps I wouldn't have been so alarmed when it did develop.

I have added photos below. I tried to keep them small, and placed them at the bottom in case you really don't want to look.

Thanks for reading. The next appointment is Wednesday, when we will find out the pathology of the tissue removed Friday.


4 Images


Steri strip, blue dye, and the yellow I tried washing off a couple of times before I realized it was bruising, not betadine. The axillary incision is healing nicely, and you can see it's swollen. Under that is the drain insertion site, with bruising beside and below. The red dot at the end of the steri strip is a hemangioma that God gave me.



Pocket of fluid




Different view--also fluid looks to be going down the back posteriorly




Hey, Hugh.................





4 comments:

  1. Good Morning Bunny,,,lol. Yes, there's a lump of something isn't there. Seems as if it were just fluid it wouldn't be so firm ay?
    Good luck at your appointment tomorrow.
    Thinking of you and sending a ray of sun your way.

    Miss B

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmmmmm, okay ~ not too bad! In fact, I was expecting worse....you look great!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aunt Kathy! Hope you are holding up well.. actual incisions don't look that bad! Honestly had to chuckle to myself when I read that you tried to wash off the yellow before realizing it was bruising...had a "been there" moment. You look wonderful. Lots of Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking much better. The puffiness we felt on Saturday seems to be going away. Hope your feeling good. I will see you on Friday. Lisa

    ReplyDelete