Saturday, December 8, 2007

Saturday 12.8.2007

Guess what I did today?? Exercised. I mean that I went out and jogged my 2.2 mile loop.

I started running back in the late '70's. Just a couple of miles, almost daily. And, as exercise seems to go with me, I've had periods of months or even years that I hadn't run. In 1998 something happened to the left hip, it wouldn't rotate, and I was off work for 14 weeks. Physical therapy, drugs, rest, accupuncture, massage, accupressure, mind over matter. Eventually the hip free'd up, and although the full range of motion is still not there (I used to be able to sit "lotus"), it works. And I still try to coax the joint to flex. After I regained the use of my hip, I started walking. I went out and enjoyed different routes by the lakes in Michigan Center, distancing 3-5 miles on average. Whenever I had tried to push myself--increase the stride, walk hard, or even jog, it would take 3 days or so for that hip to recover. Bummer. Life changed again, and I am here in Holt. I had been walking here, exploring the neighborhoods and such, and one day last February or so, my new daughter Breon went out with me. She walked with me a little, until she warmed up, the started prancing around like a graceful gazelle. She bounced circles around me, running ahead, coming back, going into cul-de-sacs and joining up, and when we got back to the starting point, she went on and run some more. Shoot. I want to do that.

So, the next time I was out, I gingerly pushed myself, just that little bit more. And I was ok. So, next time, I jogged a few steps. Hm. That felt ok. And so it went, increasing from driveway to driveway, to the crack ahead in the pavement, or to the mailbox with the birds painted on, and so on, until---I had run the entire distance!!

Praise the Lord!! I have been jogging maybe 2-3 times/week since March. And then I had surgery October 23, and haven't been out. Until today. WOW! The sun is out, and even though it's cold (29) it was great. Sure, I was ginger. I went cautiously, but it wasn't hard at all. I put on the sports bra I run in, and the white one I modified, and tucked a peripad under the left arm over the incision. That seemed to work. I did bend my left forearm and supported that breast from the movement, but about halfway around I had figured out (or maybe relaxed) how to not bounce on the stride.

And when I came back to the starting point, the sun was in my face, the sky a soft blue, the snow-diamonds sparkling. I stopped and opened my arms wide, face up to the sky, smiling, and thanked and praised the Lord. Am I blessed or what? I cannot express the humbleness I feel, the thankfulness, how full my heart is.

Back to earth, the peripad this morning was full, though the different configuration of the ace wrap prevented the collection above and forward of the incision. When I changed into the sports bras, the stuff was a constant trickle from the wound. Better out than in, I guess. I'm ok with the drainage. I had mentioned to Daniel that I am glad for the reprieve in appointments; I have until December 19 and 20 to recover and be "normal". (Is that really an option??) I think he agreed with me--this last several weeks has been something.

Thanks, all of you, each of you, for your support and for reading. And commenting. It lets me know you're out there. Love and hugs. Kathy

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy,

    We were glad to hear you were feeling up to running and had the energy to follow through.

    Is the fluid starting to let up? It seems like a lot but I know so little about this whole process.

    We are continuing to pray for you and our thoughts are with you.

    Love,
    Polly and Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy,
    Wow, I can't believe you went out running! Good for you! I hope it didn't hurt you too much to do so. I'm still praying for you. You are truly an amazing woman and an inspiration to me. I was so thrilled to see you on Thanksgiving day. That was great that you stopped in to my mom's house to see you. I was glad to be able to give you a big hug. I hope you continue to feel better with each passing day. God bless you always.
    Love and prayers,
    Diane F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,
    We read your blogs daily and we pray for you each day. You are quite a woman ~ strong & amazing!

    May the sun always shine warm on your face. God does hold you in His hands.

    Our love & thoughts are with you each day.

    Love,
    Tom & Kathy Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy, You sure are having a fast recovery, that you did a run is great but ,the feeling you expressed ...."And when I came back to the starting point, the sun was in my face, the sky a soft blue, the snow-diamonds sparkling. I stopped and opened my arms wide, face up to the sky, smiling, and thanked and praised the Lord. Am I blessed or what? I cannot express the humbleness I feel, the thankfulness, how full my heart is. ".... is the way He shows His Love!
    As far as getting back to "normal", not gonna happen, you are way above normal!!
    Love ya,
    -B-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy,
    Jim and Polly told me about you this week. We're Rotarians. Nearly, 3 years ago I had stage I, a lumpectomy, and radiation. I'm on medication for 5 years. I walked my first Survivor event this year for Relay for Life. Very emotional. I wish you the very best, a prayer is sent with this message.

    Your new sister, Renee M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kath,,,running? Way to go girl!!
    Here's a nice web site to get a daily dose of inspiration:
    www.joelosteen.com
    Hope you like it.
    Your thought for the day..."Love, Laugh, Let go, Live"

    Miss B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy,
    Way to go sis! Sometimes life throws us a curve ball. And then,there's those moments when the skies are blue and the snow sparkles like diamonds, it's different for each of us, but when it happens we all think " life is good " and it really is.

    We are both glad to hear that you are doing so well.
    Much love,

    Dave & Catherine

    ReplyDelete