Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Unveiling 11.25.2007

Today was the day. I took the dressings off. Hm. Dam, ow, shoot, that tape hurts. Ow. Oh, yeah, a little skin came off. As the breast comes into view, I see that it is really quite swollen. The nipple/areola (that has been injected with 6 ml of stuff before surgery and also an unknown amount of blue dye) is very swollen, too. It looks funny, tight maybe. There is an incision above the areola from 12 o'clock to 10 o'clock, covered with a steri strip. There is blue staining around the areola and under the steri strip. Another incision at the front side of the armpit, approx. 2 inches long, also covered with a steri strip. The front side of the underarm is numb, like a nerve may have been cut. That's probably why it doesn't hurt under there. Posterier to that, or towards the back, is where it's sore. Below the armpit, midline, is the tube insertion for the Jackson Pratt drain. It is sutured in. There is some bruising around that. Overall, I think it looks real good. Swollen, tender, but ok. I took some pain med--I'll try 1/2 tab of Darvocet, and 1 tylenol es. I emptied the drain of approximately 25 ml pinkish tan fluid.

I showered, (happiness) and was surprised at the "hospital smell" that was there. Got rid of that. I did ok in the shower, and asked Dan to help me with the dressing and bra. We put some triple antibiotic ointment around the insertion site of the drain, a drain sponge around it, and a regular 4 x 4 over it, held in place by my bra. No more tape. When I was done, Dave and Catherine had arrived, and I refilled the icepack and placed it under my arm and across the top of the breast. We had a nice visit, and they went on their way down to Jackson to visit Elaine at the Home. The Darvocet, even though it was only a half a tab, still made me feel a little loopy, so that's enough of that. I'll stay with the t3 or vicodin, or just plain tylenol at this point.

That's it so far. Doing extremely well, I think. I'm most surprised that the immediate post op pain is not what I feel now, not even in that area. Just sore and achy under the arm and across the nipple area.

I'll keep in touch. Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. Wow Kath--glad to hear you are now up and doing well and that you had soooo much support/loved ones there with you when you woke up--finally!!! Amazing hearing it written in the first person, singular.
    So--they had to take the nodes, too, huh?? D**n!!!! Yet, it's gone and now for the follow-up.
    You've been in my thoughts and prayers. Your strength will see you thru the rest of this and you've got lots of LOVE coming from all directions--just take care of yourself and let others take care of you---
    Love you lots---kisses,
    Vonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are in a fast recovery mode ... go for it
    and Oh by the way thanks for writing.
    Love
    -B-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy,
    I'm so relieved for you that everything has went well as of today. Keep up the good road to recovery. I am watching your posts and really appreciate being to keep up with you. "When the going gets rough, just kick it in the butt". God bless, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy,
    Thank you so much for writing this journal. It's nice to know how you are doing. I hope your pain subsides soon. I'm still praying for you and will continue to do so.
    Love ya bunches,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy,
    I'm so glad to hear that you are home and doing well. I am amazed that you went to see your mom so soon. You are a trooper.
    It sounds like you've had great support from your family. Well, you reap what you sow. And I know that you sow lots of love and care for others.
    By the way -- you are a great writer. I thoroughly enjoy reading your story. I can visualize everything. But its not just a dry re-telling of events. You are witty and fun! Good Job.
    I better go. I have to do some math tonight. Love, Penny

    ReplyDelete